Leaving Andavadoaka is hard for anyone who visits this unspoilt area of
Some of my favourite memories include:
- Going to the octopus no take zone opening – seeing the villagers reaping the benefits of temporary marine closures
- Open day – the whole village cramped into Nosy Cao (the classroom), eager to learn about sustainable marine practices
- 6am dives – heading out on a perfectly flat ocean as the sun rises above the village
- Camping on the islands – carrying out exploratory diving for the proposed Marine Protected Areas
- And last, but definitely not least – enjoying a lukewarm beer in the village with fellow staff and volunteers
So I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all you locals, staff and volunteers for making my 9 months some of the best ever. Keep up the good work!