On Saturday 15th with Blue Ventures staff and volunteers carried out a beach clean up of Andavadoaka beach. The event started at 3pm with the digging of a new burn pit in the north of the village. The site for the new burn pit was chosen in consultation with the village president, with the aim of creating a pit which would be easy for people to access so as to encourage the regular disposal of rubbish here. After the pit had been dug out (a tough job in the afternoon heat) volunteers and staff joined around 100 young people from Andavadoaka to collect everything from plastic bottles to fishing nets, flip flops to old clothes and a lot of other waste from the beach in rice sacks. The rubbish was then deposited in the pit and burned as this was deemed by BV as the best available waste management system for Andavadoaka at present.
Posted by Blue Ventures
Blue Ventures is an award winning marine conservation charity. We rebuild tropical fisheries with coastal communities. On our Beyond Conservation blog you can hear voices from the front line of marine conservation written by our staff and volunteers.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)